1kg self-raising flour – how to make your own self raising flour here
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
500gr butter / baking margerine – what every you have available. Don’t stress about it.
1 can condensed milk
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cups buttermilk – check out my bakin tip on how to make this at home… here
100 grams cherries, chopped
100 grams pecan nuts, chopped
*See alternatives below
- Preheat the oven to 190 deg C.
- Grease or “spray and cook” a large roasting pan pan.
Any large pan works well. The larger the better – as long as it still fits into the oven!
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder, and rub the butter / margarine into it.
- Add the condensed milk, brown sugar and buttermilk.
- Mix together with a wooden spoon.
- Add the cherries and pecan nuts and mix.
- Press the mixture into your large roasting pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until golden.
- Turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool.
- Place the wire racks into the oven at 70 deg – 100 deg (depending on your oven) and allow the rusks to dry overnight.
Enjoy with your coffee or tea, morning, noon or night! Yum!
- Leave out the cherries and pecan nuts for a cheaper and easier option.
- Add any other nut variety as an alternative option.
- Add sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, poppy seeds or your favourite seeds at the moment.
- Add 1 cup of all-bran flakes as an alternative to the cherries and pecan nuts.
Check out some other fun and easy Ovenly Love recipe favourites: